Monday 15 April 2013

MUSIC? My journey from Hobby to Career!


Name: Olaitan Kehinde Dada

Hobbies: Travelling, Singing and watching Football

A lil about myself?:  Well, I'm a grad of computer science from Olabisi Onabanjo University.I'm presently a music producer /Sound engineer. Worked with Cobhams Asuquo for about 3.5yrs as his sound/mixing engr. 
I have worked with a lot of Nigerian artistes which include: M.I, Waje, Omawunmi, Dare, 9ice, Asa, Segun Obe, Timi Dakolo, Ego, Chidinma, Tosin Martins, Wierd MC,  Gaize,  Djinee, Banky W and others. Also sing with a group called "In His Image"

What did I do before going into music full time: People wonder if I went from school to studio or studio to school, all I know is I have always been in the studio. I served with Diamond bank during my Corps days but still worked with Cobhams before setting up Natialo productions full time.

What are my popular works? Ok, here goes, I have worked on these works in different capacities either as a mix engineer, producer or Singer
1. Gaize (Awa o tush o)- Producer
2. Maltina Advert - Jingle singer
3.Omawunmi (If you ask me)- Mix Engineer
4.Chidima (Kedike)
5.Banky W (Strong tin)
6. Omawunmi (I go go)
7. Omawunmi ft 2face (Wata bang bang)
8. Chidinma (Jankoliko)
9. Banky W (Sisi Eko)
10. Microsoft (Maga no need pay)
11. Kore ft In-His-Image (Halleluyah- Producer
..............just to mention a few.

What sparked up my interest in my present biz: Well, I have always loved music, but I couldn't play any instruments so it was hard for me to express myself except through my voice. One day, my friend introduced me to fruity loops and that changed my life, I found out I could actually produce with just a mouse and keyboard. The rest is history!

How did I start? :Wow! Well, I got a computer while in school and initially, I produced for free, as time went by I started charging about 1000naira per song. Then I got enough money to buy a headphone-mic combo (the type used by operators) . That was back in 2004. I never got an investor, but I found favour in the eyes of the greatest investor of all...GOD. He led me all d way, through my grooming days at camp (Cobhams studio) till date
Challenges:  Wow. I faced a lot of challenges when I started. In this industry, you need to prove yourself before you're accepted. You need to show that you have something special, that's hard to find....because it’s a saturated industry. Everyone thinks they can sing or become a star. Everyone also believes that once they can play the keyboard, they're producers.....So you see, it’s a saturated industry and I had to prove myself (with favor) for me to stand out

Do I train upcoming artist in my field? : I'm running through the logistics of Organizing a training course at the moment. It'll be ready soon.

My Unique selling point: I'm a one-stop shop. I can sing, write songs, produce, mix and I have a studio. Once u get in you know you're going to leave complete.

 Advice: Don't join the crowd. Be different, but strive for excellence. You can't go wrong if you are diligent and strive for excellence.

What do you do to pass time? I watch movies and play FIFA soccer game

Contact Details
Natialo Studios
20, Alade Avenue Street, off Obafemi Awolowo way, Ikeja

4 comments:

  1. Yes ooooo.I knew this dude in school.Ze Baker sir.More grease!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Very impressive portfolio... *writing down contact address*...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welldone, the Black one.

    ReplyDelete